Thursday, July 12, 2012

Mmmmm Chicken with Blueberry BBQ Sauce

I found these two recipes that I like a lot! I have tried them both twice and they are going to be forever added to my cookbook. The grilled chicken with blueberry bbq sauce is something special and unique and I have made it part of my weekly/bi-weekly menu. I have always loved the white queso at my favorite Mexican restaurant and now I found the recipe and I can wow guest or just make it for myself. I found the chicken recipe in a Women’s Fitness magazine and the queso on Pinterest.com.  If you try them out let me know what you think!
Chicken Thighs with Blueberry Sauce
Prep time: 10minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
2 cups blueberries
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp rice vinegar (I used white)
3 tbsp ketchup
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 tsp molasses
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper

1.       To make the barbecue sauce: Combine blueberries, vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, molasses, allspice and cayenne pepper in a medium saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes, or until sauce is thick. Set aside, reserving ½ cup sauce.
2.       Meanwhile, coat the grill rack with cooking spray; heat the grill to medium.
3.       Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Place on grill bone side up and cook 15 minutes; turn and cook 10 minutes more. Brush with reserved sauce and cook until an instant read thermometer inserted into center of largest thigh registers 170 degrees. Serve with remaining sauce.

Nutrition Facts per Serving:
258 calories, 30g protein, 20g carbs, 7g fat (1.6g saturated), 2g fiber





Queso Blanco

Makes: About 2 cups

Ingredients:
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ cup white onion, finely diced
1 large jalapeno, seeds and stem removed; finely diced
12 oz white American cheese, shredded
4oz Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded (don’t use pre-shredded)
½ to 1 cup cream, half-and-half, or whole milk
1-2 roma tomatoes, seeds removed and diced
1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped (I didn’t know what “bunch” meant and I accidently added too much, I would say 1/8 cup is plenty)

Heat the oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and pepper until softened and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in the shredded cheese and ¼ cup of the cream. Quickly stir until the cheese is melted. Add the tomatoes, cilantro, and additional cream a little at a time until you reach desired consistency. Serve immediately with tortilla chips, tortillas, or on tacos, burritos, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment