Monday, July 4, 2011

The Fill In

So I know that once I went into Canada on our trip I kinda didn't post anything about the days travels. All I have to say is that it was a one of a kind experience. It was Zeke's first trip outside the US and he was amazed the whole trip. From exchanging our American currency for Canadian to all the wildlife we saw. Not only was it a whole new world for Zeke who was born and raised in New York City but also was something completely different for our German Sheppard mix pup Zeek. He was also born and raised in the city and every time we would stop for him to go out he was the most curious puppy I have ever seen. At times he was rolling in the grass, barking and growling at wildlife, and playing in the lakes. There was one lake that we were able to pull enough off of the road so that we could let him off the leash for the first time out of a fence. It went surprisingly well and he was by us the whole time. He ran straight to the lake and was half way in the water when we were able to walk down to the lake ourselves. Zeke and I were throwing rocks into the water and Zeek was chasing them and actually submerging his nose into the water to get the rocks. I have never seen a dog completely submerge his nose to the point where he would blow out bubbles of air while being under water. Too cute.

Although Canada was very beautiful, it was a relief to hit the US border. Just the fact that I could buy a regular sandwich for less than six bucks was more than enough to be happy about finally being in Alaska. Of course I was calling everyone to tell them we made it through Canada okay but then I was hit with some scary and terrible news. Turns out that since we had no contact for a few days we were completely unaware that my cousin was in the hospital with terrible stomach pains that led to her appendix rupturing. So of course with that bit of news Zeke picked up the pace and made it all the way to Anchorage that same day which was meant to be a two day trip from the border. So its not a surprise that our first stop was the hospital. Everything is okay now and she is doing well but it was a big scare for about a week and a half where Zeke and I would visit everyday and would do anything we could to help out. At the same time we both had to work on getting jobs. A very long week we are very happy to get past.

Now we both start tomorrow at our new jobs. Zeke is working as a salesman at Cal Worthington Ford which is one of the biggest dealers in Anchorage and I am a service cashier at Lithia Jeep, Chystler, Dodge.

Alaskans celebrate the 4th of July a little differently than people in the lower 48. We celebrated last night with a little campfire, drinks, festival, and fireworks at midnight. After the show we lit a few sparklers and smaller fireworks. We defiantly had some fun and Zeke was able to set off some fireworks for the first time. He said he has always watched them but was never able to set any off himself. A lot of fun.

Plans for today include a little vegging, a nature walk, and maybe an evening campfire. Its a beautiful day for a hike. Happy 4th everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment